This 135-year-old Institution, known as Second Missionary Baptist church of Junction City, Kansas had its beginnings in 1873, just eleven years after the Emancipation Proclamation was issued in 1862. Two brethren from the First Baptist Church, Reverend Ransom and Mr. York, a Layman, and the father of Nellie and John York, guided a group of seven in the organization. At that time, it was known as the First Colored Baptist Church and was so charted.
The early meetings were held in a schoolhouse. Since then, several lots of land have been purchased, some developed, and some served as other places of outreach.
The memorial march from the old building to the new edifice was made on Sunday morning, January 31, 1960; where the morning worship was held. The Reverend P.H. Hamlin led the march immediately following the Sunday Church School Hour. Dedication Services were held April 3-4, 1960, with the late Reverend J. C. Douglas of Wichita, Kansas bringing the message. Through the blessings of God, the mortgage was burned May 23, 1965. Dr. E. A. Freeman, President of the Kansas State Missionary Baptist Convention brought the special message. The educational wing was added in 1982. The mortgage was burned 1984.
Pastors of Second Missionary Baptist Church:
Reverend C. R. Brewster, 1919
Reverend Gold T. Raimey, 1919-1957
Reverend Peter Hamlin, 1957-1964
Reverend Earl Holmes, 1964-1976
Reverend Walter Long Sr., 1976-1991
Dr. Ellis C. Robinson, Sr., 1992-1996
Reverend Tommy Long, Sr., 1997- 2002
Dr. Leonard F. Gray, 2003 – 2017
Dr. Larry E. Jones, Nov 2017-present